Monday, September 15, 2008

A Day at Davis Hospitals ER


Yesterday I had the opportunity of visiting Davis Hospital ER for the first time and hopefully the last. Yes we are fine. My sister was scheduled to have her gallbladder out on Monday (today) but yesterday she was having such fierce pains that I took her to the ER.

When I think of the ER I am thinking Emergency Room and Emergency meaning help, fast! I think that is a reasonable definition. Now maybe because I haven't had that much experience with ER's (only 2) that I found it absolutely ridiculous that you have to wait in the waiting room for 40 minutes or so before they will even call you back to ask you what is wrong. hmm... Now I wasn't planning on having this big ER, Grey's Anatomy experience but I did expect a friendly front desk gal (we didn't get that) and for it not to take about a half hour just for the lady to print out the wrist band and then call out the name "Sara" like she has never heard of the name before in her entire life. Finally the triage nurse (there is only 1) calls out Sara and we walk about 15 paces behind the huge doors and into a little room where she monitors her blood pressure and asks her whats the problem. After the problem has been discussed (extreme pain due to a no good gall bladder) they bring us to a curtained off room and we wait. This nurse who came in to draw blood and put in the IV was a nicer one we experienced that day BUT she had to stick Sara twice with the IV needle which is bad news and if you know Sara that is EXTREMELY bad news. Finally she gets it in her hand and a few minutes later Sara tells her it still really hurts and this is the response "It shouldn't hurt anymore" (turns around and leaves) hmm.. Glad we are liars. Another nurse comes in to administer some morphine I don't think she made eye contact once or made one personable comment the whole time, that is irritating to me. People who are here are scared and need comfort you crabby A** woman. Meanwhile while we are waiting for the Dr. we can hear all the conversations, poor old grandma quit her blood pressure medication a week ago and now is having chest pains, the Dr. asks "Why did you stop taking it?" Response "Because it makes me ache all over, and its not worth it" another conversation at the nurse's station "All my notes are gone, my file, everything!" "It's gone are you sure?", "Yes, everything!" Glad we're staying here is my reaction. Like the poor Davis Hospital ER could take anymore confusion they get a call that life flight is coming, just what they need! Needless to say Sara is wheeled off to another room, new nurse, more morphine and finally go home. The positive experience , The Dr. was pleasant. The nurse let Sara go home with the IV in her hand (it is still painful), she gets to the hospital today and they are confused why they would let her go home with it and the IV isn't even in the vein, so through all of that it has to come out and a new one needs to be put in.

5 comments:

Charolette said...

That's to bad that you got treated that way.:( I know how Sara is and Im sure that she was not very happy. I wish her luck. Oh and good things do come out from that Hospital and well it's me.
Just kidding !

Call me if you need me to help with anything.

Clifton and Melinda said...

That is absolutely awful!!!! I am so sorry for the both of you :(

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That's terrible! Another reason for me to add to the list of why I hate hospitals!
I hope Sara is okay; she had a baby this year, that's enough of hospitals for anyone for a long time!

Unknown said...

Davis Hospital sucks! I wouldn't send my enemies there... well ok maybe them. You should always, always go to McKay Dee. It's north of here and a much better place to visit if you have to. That's where we always take people that need good help.

The Anderson's said...

Unfortunately we can't go to IHC based. So, I guess Ogden Regional is our other choice. Which Sundee was telling me about her cousin? (or someone) who had a baby there and it was an awful experience!!