Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Grandpa

ROBERT E. McVOY


Did I mention that I would like to go back to 2009? I feel like 2009 was a great year, so far nothing "great" has happened in 2010, expect experiences or things that I have found out that are anything but the opposite of great. It is only February 22nd and I know 3 people that have passed away already and 2 others that my friends either knew or loved. The sun will shine again, I am just waiting for the rainbow.

One of the people that I know of and loved who has passed away (today actually) was my Grandpa McVoy. When I hear that someone's grandparent has passed away, I feel sympathy for them but I always think well it was their grandparent, of course its going to happen sooner than you want! But now being in the situation, yes, they lived a long great life but it still makes those tears fall from your eyes. It was his time to go but it still doesn't make it that much more easier. I have a heavy heart and wish that I could have been there. I am hoping he has been reunited with his love who passed away several years ago and he had decided to never re-marry. I believe there was a time that a girlfriend of his wanted to get married and he said no, which thinking about that, it would be hard for a man to say no. You always hear how the men always re-marry so quickly and especially in that generation the men didn't usually prepare their own meals or laundry and the household chores. So a big shout of praise to grampy for holding out strong! I am pretty sure he is celebrating right now with my grandma.
I am thankful to know and truly believe that we will be with our families someday and this death on earth isn't the end. We will be together again and can all rejoice together. Although 98% of my family is not LDS I really believe it will work its way out and we will all be together somehow and someway.
Carrie Underwood's "Temporary Home" song I have been loving and think it hits the spot in a situation like this. If you haven't heard it (family..) google it and listen to it. Here is one verse I love....

Old man, hospital bed
The room is filled with people he loves
And he whispers don't cry for me
I'll see you all someday
He looks up and says "I can see God's face."

"This is my temporary Home
It's not where I belong
Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through
This was just a stop,on the way To where I'm going
I'm not afraid because I know this was
My temporary home."


To my Grampy:
you were a great man and I look up to you in so many ways! I mean, seriously, who can escape the Germans, hide from them, and then make it home to talk about it?!
If anyone knew my grandpa you will know that when I say he had a twinkle in his eye and a trickster of a smile that he was up to something! and to the man who didn't want to date women with white hair because they were too old! (Even if they were plenty younger than he)! Or the little jokes he would tell one that comes to mind that he told Blake about his "White Car" That this was the one you take the ladies shopping in because it was only a 2 seater! I remember how he loved his back scratched and the smile it would bring. He loved his cars tons! So, this little secret I never shared with him and luckily he wasn't around when I was 16 or 17 and I forgot to put my car in park and it was on a slight incline so it wasn't moving and I hopped out of the car to talk to my dad and all of a sudden my car was moving very slowly over the hump and smacked right into the front of Grampy's "White Car!" My dad wanted to kill, I wanted to bolt and hide for my life and the damage was well hidden. Behind a stack of horns (it was a fancy old car) i dented the headlight but it was in a well hidden spot so Grampy never knew... :) sorry!
also to the man who would never eat chicken wings or Chinese food! haha... the chicken wings were the garbage part of the chicken and Chinese food were made by Chinese people duh! :) I am sure if I sit here I will think of more great things about him.
However, now he won't have to be under someone else's order and the nasty nurses who would come in and say "Bob, take your pills, Bob, swallow, don't chew, just swallow!"
When Blake and I went back last summer with Carson he just loved that baby, I am happy he had the chance to meet all three of my boys. We were planning on taking our whole family out this summer so all the grandparents could see the boys all together, but you do what you can do and try as hard as you can try.

Grandpa I love you, I love you! I am happy you can party it down with Grandma once again and free from your burdens! Watch over us...

He loved watching Carson and playing with his little hands and feet and would say over and over that his little feet were "just like ping pong paddles" :)



3 comments:

KO and SJ said...

Kate, I am so sorry to hear this! I hope you guys are okay. I am going to call you on the phone right now. We love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Katie,
What a nice tribute to a great man. We are so sorry and know you will see your grandpa again.

Cami said...

This is a sweet post, hope you are doing alright. We love and miss you guys!