Saturday, May 9, 2009

May is Not so Fun....

So far May has been an awful month and I hope it gets better! On the high side of things Carson is growing and finally fitting into newborn size clothes - woo hoo!

On the down side Mason and Logan have been the most sick they have ever been! My first question is how in the world did they get sick??? I have been so anal about NOT going places and asking people if they are sick if they want to come visit??? All I can think of is that he caught something from school (damn those parents who send their sick kids to school!) or they caught it from touching a dirty grocery cart or something. We ended up taking Mace to the Dr.'s first and we couldn't get in to see our Dr. and settled to see someone else, which was worthless. He told Blake that it was just a cold or allergies. So that night no one slept because Mace was coughing so hard all night and just was crying. Needless to say I knew this was more then just a cold, we have had plenty of colds and he has never coughed like this. So the next day I got in with our Dr. and he told us Mace had Croup and gave us a prescription. It seems to have helped him since the past 3 nights he has been able to sleep through the night, however he still has that awful cough which i'm hoping will fly away soon and leave him! Then, Logan vomited a little out of the blue and had a high fever for a full day and then he started coughing. His cough was different since it sounded more wet, and deeper in his little chest. I took him to the Dr.'s yesterday and he was tested for Swine flu, and the regular flu. To do this they took a swab from his nose, which was awful because it looks like they are trying to swab his brain! The FIRST time (notice i sad first, meaning this was done multiple times) the nurse did this Logan said ow and didn't like it. However, the nurse put the swab in the Strept throat test INSTEAD of the flu so she had to do it again and this time Logan knew what was going to happen and he fought as hard as he could so she wouldn't do it... meaning, I had to pin his arms down and she had to hold his body and get another swab. Right after she did that (of coure he is screaming) they want me to do the breathing treatment (which he has never had) so I had to fight with him to TRY and get some of the mist in his body. After we did this the Dr. came back in and listened to his lungs again and said they sounded better and that I would have to do these treatments at home every 4-6 hours and if he didn't seem much better after a week to bring him back and they would check his oxygen levels again and listen to his lungs. We were at the Dr.'s for over an hour. I was given 3 prescriptions for him and went home, dropped him off and went to Walmart to fill the prescriptions. 2 of the prescriptions were for medicine for the nebulizer but i only filled the cheaper of the 2 and then they told me I couldn't get the compresser for the nebulizer from them and it had to go through a DME provider. It is now 7 pm I am supposed to give these treatments every 4-6 hours and I have no machine to give it to him! I called our pharm. benefits to see where I could go to get the compressor and he didn't handle that part. I was a little stressed because I knew he needed it and it was getting late and I couldn't figure out how to get it! luck was on my side and as I was driving back to get on the internet to look up the DME providers I remembered my friend and neighbor had said her little girl had to do treatments before so I thought what the heck I'll just ask if they have the compressor, and they did! It really was a lifesaving moment to me. Next battle is Logan absolutely refuses to do the treatments so we waited for him to sleep and have given him 3 throughout the night, not sure how he will react to it today - hopefully he will do it.
Carson, Blake and I have been holding strong and aren't sick - knock on wood. Hopefully the rest of May will be better, I don't think it could be much worse...

4 comments:

Mechelle said...

I am so sorry- May sounds terrible! March was bad for us- we were all sick when shleby came home! Let me know if we can help!

Unknown said...

Oh my word that is horrible! I am so sorry. I hope they get feeling better soon. Let me know if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your sick kids. We really missed you at mom and dad's for dinner yesterday. Hope everyone is doing better.

The Anderson's said...

and to add to the fun of May our hot water heater bit the dust......